Welcome to McLaughlin Legal
McLaughlin Legal was formed in 2009 as a boutique San Diego tax law firm to provide responsive solutions for all civil and criminal tax disputes. Since its beginning, McLaughlin Legal has focused only on tax law with an emphasis on civil and criminal tax litigation. The firm is dedicated to representing taxpayer in this concentrated practice area, and was founded on three core values:
- Concentrated Practice – McLaughlin Legal prioritizes expertise. Our firm practices in a very specific discipline, and we believe this focus is key to our success. McLaughlin Legal is not all things to all clients, but when a client needs legal services in our concentrated practice areas we can match the level of service of any other firm. By specializing in only tax law, with a focus on criminal and civil tax litigation and controversies, we are able to offer expertise equal to any other large firm and advise our clients on Federal and California tax issues competently, efficiently, and effectively.
- Integrity – McLaughlin Legal believes that character ethics like being responsive, trustworthy, patient, professional, and honorable are the foundations of a successful law firm.
- Personalized Service – McLaughlin Legal knows that each client’s interests, needs, and styles are unique to their case. We believe in having a strong personal relationship with each individual client. This allows our clients to have a more active role and opportunity to participate in solving their tax issues if desired. As a boutique tax law firm with an emphasis on tax litigation and controversies, McLaughlin Legal can offer quality services equal to any large law firm, but with a more personal touch.
Today McLaughlin Legal helps individuals and businesses with all types of Federal and California tax issues and is organized into three overlapping practice areas: tax litigation and controversies, tax planning, and tax preparation.
Within these focused tax law practice areas, McLaughlin Legal is grounded in its tax litigation and tax controversy emphasis in both civil and criminal tax matters. Many San Diego tax attorneys and tax lawyers handle tax planning, but only few tax attorneys practice tax litigation and controversies.
Some of the key tax problems we help with include:
- Audits by the IRS, FTB, BOE, or EDD
- Preparing delinquent tax returns
- Handling administrative appeals with the IRS, FTB, BOE, and EDD
- Civil litigation of tax disputes before the U.S. Tax Court, U.S. District Court, and United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Defending targets and witnesses in criminal tax matters
- Resolving IRS, FTB, BOE, and EDD collection disputes
- Innocent or injured spouse claims
- Tax and estate planning
- Responsible person investigations under §6672 and California equivalents
- Tax professional matters such as Circular 230 disputes, preparer penalties, and witness representation
McLaughlin Legal’s structure, plus our experience and concentration on tax litigation and tax controversies, not only allows us to represent clients who have tax problems with the IRS or a California tax agency, but also advise on other tax law issues with a perspective not found elsewhere. McLaughlin Legal can deliver responsive solutions by analyzing tax issues, fixing tax problems, and developing lasting strategies to achieve your desired goals.
Our vision is to continuously provide our clients with the highest counsel and continue to become a larger part of the San Diego community. For more information about McLaughlin Legal, we encourage you to: