– McLaughlin Legal Founder declared such by State Bar of California under the first program of its kind in the nation –
Kevan McLaughlin, Founder of McLaughlin Legal, a San Diego-based firm providing tax litigation and controversy, estate planning, trust administration, tax preparer and CPA defense services for small to mid-sized companies and business owners, recently received his Certified Tax Law Specialist designation.
The declaration came from the State Bar of California under the first of its kind program in the nation and after meeting its rigorous criteria.
According to the state bar’s website, the Certified Tax Law Specialist initiative provides a method to increase public protection and encourage attorney competence.
“Undertaking all of the program’s requirements to achieve this designation shows businesses and their owners that we stand committed to protecting their rights and providing the resources of a large corporation while maintaining the personalized service and cost-effectiveness of a small practice,” said McLaughlin. “I’m proud to allocate the time and energy to do it.”
The general requirements to become a California State certified tax law specialist include:
- Passage of a written examination in the tax law specialty area.
- Demonstration of having practiced law continuously for at least five years, spending at least 25 percent of the time given to occupational endeavors practicing in the specialty area.
- Completion of continuing education in the specialty area greater than that required of general licensees of the bar.
- Demonstration of a broad-based and comprehensive experience in the specialty area based on completion of a variety of matters in the specialty area.
- Favorable evaluations by other attorneys and judges familiar with the attorney’s work in the specialty area of law.
The State Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization must approve each attorney’s application. Organizations whose certification program is State Bar-accredited can also certify attorneys, but their certification requirements must equal or exceed those of the State Bar of California’s program.
Once certified, specialists must maintain their certification by completing and reporting ongoing tasks and experience every five years. They must also report 36 hours of education every three years along with their Minimum Continuing Level Education compliance group.
More information on the certification program can be found at http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/Legal-Specialization.
ABOUT MCLAUGHLIN LEGAL
Founded in 2009, McLaughlin Legal provides responsive solutions for all types of civil and criminal tax disputes, estate planning, trust administration and more. The firm assists individuals and businesses with tax audits, appeals, criminal tax investigations, drafting wills, trusts and powers of attorney. More information is available at www.mclaughlinlegal.com.
© 2018 by McLaughlin Legal. All rights reserved.